BYU Brownies

I have gone down to BYU's Women's Conference off and on for many years. It is a great week spent with my sister-in-law, Mary, and her family. Everytime we go to the conference we have to have the BYU brownies. There is always a line-up waiting! It is worth waiting for. I have never really thought about trying to make these yummy treats. I am not sure why either! Included in our food storage is all the makings for brownies. Brownies cure everything, I am sure of it!

One of my new favorite blogs is Your Homebased Mom. She has great recipes and beautiful photography. I have made a couple of her recipes and just love them! This time she really made my day when she posted the recipe for the BYU brownies! I think this will become our Sunday afternoon treat! I try to save deserts to Sundays and Family Nights on Mondays.

BYU Mint Brownies

from the BYU Magazine

1 C butter

1/2 C cocoa

2 Tbsp honey

4 eggs

2 C sugar

1 3/4 C flour

1/2 Tbsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1 C chopped walnuts (optional)

12 oz. chocolate icing (You could use the recipe for the mint icing below just add about 1/3 C of cocoa and leave out the mint extract and green food coloring)

Mint Icing|

5 Tbsp butter

dash of salt

3 Tbsp milk

1 Tbsp light corn syrup

2 1/3 C powdered sugar

1/2 tsp. mint extract

1-2 drops green food coloring

Melt butter and mix in cocoa. Allow to cool. Add honey, eggs, sugar, flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well. Add nuts. Pour batter into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Cool.

Prepare mint icing. Soften butter. Add salt, corn syrup and powdered sugar. Beat until smooth and fluffy. Add mint extract and green food coloring. Mix. Add milk gradually until the consistency is a little thinner than cake frosting.

Spread mint icing over brownies. Place brownies in the freezer for a short time to stiffen the icing. Remove from the freezer and carefully add a layer of chocolate icing.

Comments

tiki_lady said…
I have never tasted the infamous BYU brownie. now, I have a chance!
LDS Mom said…
I made these yesterday after church. They were so yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe.