Yummy Mexican Rice

This is another recipe book I only use one recipe from, 365 Easy Mexican Recipes. This is a favorite on our Mexican food nights.

2 T vegetable oil
2 C long-grain white rice (I use brown rice, it just takes a little longer to cook)
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
3/4 C canned pureed tomatoes (I will use the equivalent measure of salsa)
1 14.5 oz. can of reduced sodium chicken broth ( I will use chicken bouillon cubes instead)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

1. In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add rice and cook, stirring, about 1 minute to coat with oil. Stir in onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.

2. Stir in cumin, tomatos(salsa), chicken broth, salt, pepper, and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 15 to 18 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Add cooked carrot and stir gently to combine.

You could do it as directed above but I do all of this in my rice cooker. Just dump it all in, mix it up and add the water and push the cook button!

Comments

LDS Mom said…
Oh my! I feel like I am stealing all of your best recipes! Keep them coming!